Shabbat at University Synagogue is truly a meaningful and spiritual experience. We see our Shabbat gatherings as times for our community to come together and disconnect from life’s distractions and reconnect with God, faith and one another.
From our family Shabbat services where our youth help lead our services to our musical Shabbat services where our community gathers to create a spiritually uplifting ambiance - University Synagogue is the place to be for Shabbat. We gather in our Kopelson Sanctuary, we pray in our Gray Family Chapel, we gather in the round in our Klein Hall and during the summer, we pray under the stars. We sponsor community dinners and encourage families to bring members and Shabbat into their homes. We light candles in the park and we gather for challah and Kiddush on the beach.
For us at University Synagogue, Shabbat is about coming together as a community to explore Judaism in many ways. On Shabbat mornings we have plenty of offerings from bar and bat mitzvahs, to participatory services in our library with a food and community, morning hikes, family services in our Early Childhood Learning Center or on the beach, and meditation Shabbats.
Please CLICK HERE for Shabbat Blessings, and to learn more about Shabbat customs and rituals.
Here's a list of our Shabbat services:
- Shabbat Evening Service - 7:30 p.m. on Fridays
- Family Service featuring Hasharim (our children's choir) - 6:30 p.m. on the first Friday of the month
- Zimrah Under the Stars - A beautiful experience of music, connection and community under the stars.
- Shabbat Zimrah - A soulful & spiritual Shabbat experience of music, connection and community with our Shabbat Zimrah musicians.
- Tot Shabbat AM, Best Playdate Ever - 9:00 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month. Please click here or check the calendar for exact dates.
- Tot Shabbat PM - 5:30 p.m. on the first Friday of the month (unless there is a holiday). Please click here or check the calendar for exact dates.
- Saturday morning worship: On mornings when we have a bar or bat mitzvah scheduled at 10:30 a.m. Shabbat morning services, we encourage you to join us as we celebrate with our sons and daughters as they read from Torah and lead us in prayer and song. Check our synagogue calendar for the most updated schedule of events.
- Saturday afternoon worship: On afternoons when we have a bar of bat mitzvah scheduled at 5:00 p.m. for a havdallah service, we encourage you to join us as we celebrate with our sons and daughters as they read from Torah and lead us in prayer and song. Check our synagogue calendar for the most updated schedule of events.
- Torah off the Beaten Path - Experience torah, prayer and spirituality while out on the trail with Cantor Shapiro. Appropriate for singles, couples and families. 9:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings once a month.
- Hevrah Torah - Shabbat mornings from 9-10 a.m. Hevrah Torah, led by Rabbi Stanley Davids, consists of a group of friends gathered for the purpose of the study of Torah. A burgeoning group of congregants interested in pursuing a deeper and richer understanding of the weekly Torah portion meets in the Beit Midrash. Rabbi Feinstein, Cantor Shapiro, Rabbi Simonds and Rabbinic Intern Joanne Loiben have also taught the class.
- Holiday Morning Services - All holiday morning services are held at 9 a.m. unless noted otherwise. Check our synagogue calendar for the most updated schedule of events.